print header

# 1 Commercial Real Estate Information Company

  • Find Properties 
  • Market Properties 
  • Analyze Properties 
Products
Commercial Real Estate News

Facility Closures & Downsizings: HP Not Done Cutting CRE Costs

January 9, 2013
After announcing two years ago that it had “largely completed” its plan to reduce its real estate costs by consolidating into several hundred core real estate locations worldwide, Hewlett Packard Co. disclosed this past week that it had cut another 3 million square feet of space worldwide last year.

In its annual report filed Dec. 27, 2012, HP reported that it owned or leased 67 million square feet of space worldwide down from 70 million a year earlier.


Share this story with your followers


HP owns 45% of its space and leased the remaining 55%. Included in these amounts are 8 million square feet of vacated space, of which 2 million square feet is leased to non-HP interests.

HP core data centers, manufacturing plants, research and development facilities, and warehouse operations occupied 28 million square feet.

The space cutting may not be done. HP reported that it will continue to take real estate portfolio optimization actions.

At its peak in 2010, HP occupied 80 million square feet of space worldwide.

Additional Facility Closures & Downsizings



Sheet2

.

CompanyAddressCityStateClosure or LayoffLayoffsImpact Date

.

CH2M HillArtic Oilfield HotelNorth SlopeAKUnknown380Various

.

Evaluation Solutions12276 San Jose Blvd, Suite 521 and 4800 Spring Parkk Road, Suite 7JacksonvilleFLUnknown48Immediately

.

RailAmerica7411 Fullerton St., Suite 300JacksonvilleFLUnknown502/5/2013

.

Bostwick Laboratories7001 Lake Ellenor DriveOrlandoFLUnknown90Immediately

.

Steel Parts Manufacturing Inc801 Berryman PikeTiptonINClosure1733/14/2013

.

URS Corp.430 National Business Parkway, Suite 400Annapolis JunctionMDLayoffUnknown2/7/2013

.

Dura Automotive Systems5210 Industrial DriveMilanTNLayoff30Immediately

.

Omnicare of Northern Illinois407 Pilot Court, Suite 200WaukeshaWIClosure782/22/2013



Keep up weekly on national news, trends and property leads with the Watch List Newsletter, a weekly pdf that includes other news and leads not found on the CoStar Group web news pages. Sign up for the Watch List E-Mail Alert. A new issue is published late each Wednesday.

 Find us on 

Welcome To CoStar's
Industry-Focused,
Award-Winning News

Winner of three Journalism Awards from the National Association of Real Estate Editors (NAREE)

Award-Winning News