Dots LLC, a 400-store clothing chain for young women, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection this week and has requested court approval to cancel leases on an initial 36 of its stores.
According to new CEO Lisa Rhodes, the retailer's previous management team instituted a number of merchandising strategies and operational tactics that resulted in a downturn in store traffic and overall financial performance beginning in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Share with Your Followers on Twitter
Dots’ financial difficulties have been exacerbated by a number of largely unsuccessful changes in product pricing and marketing, as well as a burdensome lease portfolio, the CEO said in a court filing.
The company hopes the Chapter 11 process will enable it to downsize through lease rejections and emerge from bankruptcy in a stronger financial condition.
Requested Lease Cancellations
Store Location, City, State, Landlord
* Countryside Centre, Clearwater, FL, Weingarten Realty Investors
* Clermont Landing, Clermont, FL, Weingarten I-4 Clermont
* Volusia Square, Daytona Beach, FL, Cole MT Daytona Beach FL LLC
* Pinewood Square, Lake Worth, FL, Pinewood Palm Beach Retail
* Deerfield Place, Milton, GA, Sembler Alpharetta I LLC
* Westview Center, Hanover Park, IL, Brixmor SPE 3 LLC c/o Brixmor
* Westridge Court, Naperville, IL, Centro NP Holdings 6 SPE LLC
* Four Flaggs S/C 8321 W Golf Road, Niles, IL, Inland Four Flaggs LLC
* Pointe Plaza 5762 W. Touhy Ave., Niles, IL, TDC Ocean Pointe LLC
* Villa Oak, Villa Park, IL, Villa Oaks LLC
* Florence Square, Florence, KY, New Plan Property Holding
* Swansea S/C II, Swansea, MA, R.K. Swansea LLC
* Worcester Crossing, Worcester, MA, Madison Worcester Holdings
* Centerpointe Mall, Grand Rapids, MI, Centerpoint Development
* Novi Town Center, Novi, MI, Novi Town Center Investors LLC
* Heritage Place, Creve Coeur, MO, Ramco-Gershenson Properties
* Cherry Hill Walmart, Cherry Hill, NJ, Cherry Hill VF L.L.C.
* North Bergen, North Bergen, NJ, Vornado North Bergen Tonnelle
* Bay Plaza, Bronx, NY, Bay Plaza Community Center
* Falcaro's Plaza, Lawrence, NY, Brixmor SPE 2 LLC
* Nassau Mall, Levittown, NY, Nassau Mall Plaza Associates
* Northshore Commons, New Hyde Park, NY, New Lake Hill LLC
* Northpointe Plaza, Lewis Center, OH, Tuller Square Northpointe LLC
* Macedonia Commons, Macedonia, OH, DOTRS LLC
* Voice of America, West Chester, OH, VOA Development Company LLC
* University Town Center, Norman, OK, Inland Diversified Real Estate
* Rockwell Plaza 8533 N. Rockwell Ave., Oklahoma City, OK, Inland American Retail Mgmt.
* Memorial Square 13726 N. Pennsylvania Ave., Oklahoma City, OK, Inland Continental Property
* Levittown Town Center, Levittown, PA, Levittown LP
* Mktplace @ Carriage Crossing, Collierville, TN, Carriage Crossing Market
* Ridgeway Trace S/C, Memphis, TN, WRI Ridgeway LLC
* Shops @ Hulen, Ft. Worth, TX, Coleman & Logan P.C.
* Rockwall Crossing, Rockwall, TX, Rockwall Crossing Ltd.
* Bandera Pointe North 11643 Bandera Road, San Antonio, TX, DDR DB SA Ventures LP
* Terrell Plaza 1231 Austin Highway, San Antonio, TX, DDR DB Terrell LP
* Westchester Commons, Midlothian, VA, Zaremba Metropolitan
Facility Closures & Downsizings
Bayer HealthCare LLC
will combine and transfer operations from three locations in the St. Joseph, MO, area to one beginning this year. Bayer acquired the St. Joseph facilities in January 2013 following its acquisition of the U.S.-based animal health business of Teva Pharmaceutical Industries. In addition, Bayer will be transferring its regulatory and development activity to its U.S. headquarters based in Shawnee, KS, by early 2015. The company will invest an estimated $10 million dollars between its Kansas and Missouri sites located in the greater Kansas City region, which is part of the Animal Health Corridor.
CCA Industries Inc.
plans to restructure the company's operations, and will outsource to The Emerson Group certain sales and administrative functions. In addition, warehousing and shipping will be outsourced to and managed by OHL. The company's inventory will be moved to an OHL-managed facility in Indianapolis, from CCA’s facility in East Rutherford, NJ. The action could potentially save the company more than $3.5 million in overhead expenses in the first 12 months.
|Company||Address||City||State||Closure or Layoff||No. of Layoffs||Impact Date|
|IFCO Inc.||400 W. Crossroads Parkway||Bolingbrook||IL||Layoff||85||2/10/2014|
|Sterling Infosystems Inc.||8430 W. Bryn Mawr Ave., Suite 1100||Chicago||IL||Layoff||72||2/21/2014|
|HomeDirect, Inc.||330 S. Mannheim Road||Hillside||IL||Layoff||82||1/20/2014|
|Group O||325 S. Route 31; 888 S. Edgelawn Drive||Montgomery; Aurora||IL||Layoff||143||2/4/2014|
|Philips Consumer Lifestyle||440 Medinah Road||Roselle||IL||Closure||102||5/1/2014|
|Teleperformance USA||3354 Washtenaw Ave,||Ann Arbor||MI||Closure||430||3/17/2014|
|Technicolor Videocassette of Michigan Inc.||36121 Schoolcraft Road; 36501 Vaan Born Road||Livonia; Romulus||MI||Layoff||200||3/13/2014|
|TRW Integrated Chassis Systems LLC||2328 E. Genesee||Saginaw||MI||Closure||600||2/20/2014|
|First National Bank||7031 Orchard Lake Road||West Bloomfield||MI||Closure||18||2/27/2014|
|Interfaith Medical Center||1545 Atlantic Ave.||Brooklyn||NY||Closure||1,405||Undetermined|
|Bridge Leather Inc.||1415 Redfern Ave.||Far Rockaway||NY||Closure||81||4/15/2014|
|Keywell LLC||300 Falconer St.||Frewsburg||NY||Layoff||52||Immediatley|
|Waldbaum's Store #286||328 Union Ave.||Holbrook||NY||Closure||71||4/14/2014|
|Carlisle Etcetera LLC||314-24 Vernon Blvd.||Long Island City||NY||Closure||63||6/1/2014|
|Alcoa Primary Metals at Massena East||194 County Route 45||Massena||NY||Closure||332||4/17/2014|
|Russin Lumber Corp.||21 Leonards Drive||Montgomery||NY||Closure||68||4/18/2014|
|TGI Friday's||484 8th Ave.||New York||NY||Closure||73||4/20/2014|
|Barnes & Noble College Booksellers LLC||105 Fifth Ave.||New York||NY||Closure||56||1/31/2014|
|Kaye Scholer LLP||425 Park Ave.||New York||NY||Closure||1||7/31/2014|
|Smithfield Associates LLC-Pastis Restaurant||9 Ninth Ave.||New York||NY||Closure||200||1/31/2014|
|Advanced Monolythic Ceramics Inc.||3101 Constitution Ave.||Olean||NY||Closure||65||1/10/2014|
|St Francis Hospital and Health Centers - Main Hospital||241 North Road||Poughkeepsie||NY||Closure||1,141||4/4/2014|
|Macy's Medley Centre Store||1 Irondequoit Mall Drive||Rochester||NY||Closure||82||4/22/2014|
|Destiny USA - Pyramid Management Group LLC||9090 Destiny USA Drive||Syracuse||NY||Closure||44||4/19/2014|
|Farmers Group Inc.||4700 Vestal Parkway East||Vestal||NY||Closure||55||5/31/2014|
|Walgreens Bethlehem Distribution||125 N. Commerce Way||Bethlehem||PA||Closure||453||4/30/2014|
|ATOS IT Solutions and Services Inc.||1028 Morgan Hwy||Clarks Summit||PA||Layoff||26||2/28/2014|
|Dubois Logistics LLC||851 Beaver Drive||DuBois||PA||Potential Closure||193||2/23/2014|
|Orograin Bakeries Manufacturing Inc.||2400 Northampton St.||Easton||PA||Closure||60||2/14/2014|
|Ocwen Financial Corporation||1100 Virginia Drive||Fort Washington||PA||Layoff||243||1/31/2014|
|Merck||351 N Sumneytown Pike||North Wales PA 19454-2505||PA||Closure||152||2/3/2014|
|Horsehead Monaca Facility||4955 Steubenville Pike||Pittsburgh||PA||Closure||510||3/1/2014|
|Kampack Inc.||100 Main St.||Tullytown||PA||Closure||70||Immediatley|
Keep up weekly on national news, trends and property leads with the Watch List Newsletter,
a weekly pdf that includes other news and leads not found on the CoStar Group web news pages. Sign up for the Watch List E-Mail Alert
. A new issue is published Monday mornings.